Diamond C Designated as “Texas Mother-Friendly Worksite”
Published August 26, 2022
Supporting our Mothers
Diamond C is proud to announce that we have become the latest Texas employer to be designated by the Texas Department of State Health Services as a TEXAS MOTHER-FRIENDLY WORKSITE!
We know juggling work with caring for an infant can be tough, and we are pleased to do our part to support working mothers everywhere.
Benefits for Mothers
We have made a commitment to provide support to our team members who choose to breastfeed their infants:
- Flexible work schedules that allow time for pumping milk.
- Access to a private spaces, other than a bathroom, for the purpose of pumping milk.
- Access to a nearby clean and safe water source and a sink for washing hands and rinsing out any breast pump equipment.
- Access to hygienic storage options where our mothers can safely store breastmilk.
The Importance of being a mother-friendly worksite
The numbers are surprising—more than 75 percent of new mothers start out breastfeeding their babies, but most stop the effort before the infant is 3 months old. Many stop when they return to work. Among the reasons they cite is a lack of time and privacy to breastfeed or pump and store breastmilk at their workplace.
Studies show that many new mothers face barriers at the workplace that make it difficult for them to continue breastfeeding after returning to the job. As a result, they miss out on the benefits breastfeeding provides to them and their babies. With the “Texas Mother-Friendly Worksite” designation, Diamond C is joining other businesses in Texas in showing its support for issues important to working mothers and their families.
- Breastfeeding through a baby’s first year has important benefits that last a lifetime for mom and baby.
- Texas Mother-Friendly Worksites are organizations that support employees who choose to breastfeed by providing time and space for mothers to express and store breastmilk for their babies.
- By carrying the “Texas Mother-Friendly Worksite” designation, we are demonstrating our commitment to issues that are important to working parents and to all of our team members.
- We have already experienced the benefits of providing a worksite lactation program, including increased employee loyalty, reduced turnover, reduced absenteeism, and increased productivity.
- Our team members don’t have to choose: mothers can be committed to their jobs, return to work, AND meet their breastfeeding goals.
In today’s tough economy, many of us must work to provide for our families. We are proud to provide resources for mothers at Diamond C so that they don’t have to choose between ensuring the long-term health of their babies by breastfeeding, or returning to work as a productive and committed team member.
At Diamond C, we can do both.